Three savvy social media leaders shared their insights and advice for Chairs at a well-attended seminar hosted by Grant Thornton in January. The seminar for members explored the risks and opportunities of social media and what Chairs need to put in place with their board of trustees. Speakers were:
- Zoe Amar, Director of Zoe Amar Communications, one of the sector’s leading social media experts and columnist for The Guardian Voluntary Sector Network
- Louise Hughes, Not for Profit Marketing Lead at Grant Thornton UK LLP which recently carried out a study into social media use in the charity sector
- Angela Style, AoC member, Chair of Endometriosis UK and recognised as one of the most effective Chairs on social media.
Key learning points included:
- all boards should have a policy and guidelines on social media, and ideally identify a champion
- social media offers the opportunity to listen and learn, not just to broadcast
- boards should not be put off by the fear of negative comments but engage with those making positive comments.